STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
From its founding in 1930, Mooreland Hill School strives to create a unique environment in which all members, students and adults, exist in a learning community characterized by active and spirited engagement in academic, physical, and social pursuits. The school encourages close relationships among students of all ages, faculty, staff, and families in an environment of mutual respect. Moral character, a strong sense of community, and an understanding of the responsibility of citizenship are stressed through the curriculum, community service activities, and a partnership among parents, students, and the school. We prepare our students for success at the secondary school level and in life.
ABOUT US: FAST FACTS
• History: Founded in 1930
• Format: Coeducational, independent day school for Kindergarten through 9th grade.
• Enrollment: 61
• Location: Located in the Kensington section of Berlin, CT. Berlin is a suburb of the capital city of Hartford and conveniently situated near major highways in the area.
• Headmaster Since 2006: Michael Dooman, formerly Middle School Director at The Country School in Madison, CT. Mr. Dooman, an alumnus of the school, has over 20 years in independent school education as teacher, coach, and administrator. He earned his Master’s degree in history from Trinity College in Hartford, CT.
• Academic Program: a rich and demanding program founded on a traditional, structured curriculum. The comprehensive framework emphasizes: English, literature, history, math, science, and foreign languages. The program also includes: art, chorus and human growth and development.
• Extracurricular Activities: Students may elect to be involved in many activities. Options range from the arts to publications to clubs and include: instrumental ensemble, yearbook, literary magazine, photography, Robotics Club, and drama, among others.
• Athletics and Fitness: Three athletic seasons cover the spectrum of interscholastic sports offerings: soccer, field hockey, basketball, baseball, softball and tennis. Each individual sport fields varsity and junior varsity teams and both boys and girls teams where appropriate. Teams compete against other independent schools. Mooreland also offers non-competitive sports and physical fitness programs such as hiking, gardening, high ropes, spelunking, and fencing. For the K-4/5 programs, physical education is offered in place of interscholastic sports. Tuition for 2012-13: Grades K- 3: $11,500, 4/5: $19,150. Grades 6-9: $22,150. Tuition is inclusive of a $550 fee that covers incidental expenses such as books, some testing, and athletic supplies. Daily family-style lunch is included in the tuition for grades 4/5-9.
• Financial Aid: Provided on a need basis and determined in part by filing a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) from the School Scholarship Service (SSS), Princeton, NJ.
• Application Deadline: Priority deadline for first round review of admissions is February 15. Applications received after February 15 are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year.
Mooreland Hill School is an accredited member of the following organizations and affiliations:Connecticut Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) www.caisct.org National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) www.nais.org Educational Records Bureau Secondary School Admission Test Bureau